On Mothering Sunday last a group of ALHS members took a trip to Dymchurch to visit of the Martello Towers still standing.
There are two in Dymchurch, one in the car park (now privately owned) and the other, managed by English Heritage. No.24 is one of the 74 towers built along the south coast between 1805 and 1812 to resist the threatened French invasion. Today Martello Tower No.24 is the most accurate example of the original 74 built.
The Tower has been restored to its original design, with replica gunpowder barrels and a 24 pounder muzzle-l0ading cannon on the gun platform.
No.24 is open every weekend and bank holiday in partnership with the Friends of Martello 24, who have set up a charity and work tirelessly to preserve this bastion of English heritage for us all.
The Tower is free of charge, but donations are welcome and go to help keep No.24 open to us all.
Click here for more info Martello Tower No.24
We hope, like us, you go to visit and support this wonderful work.